Members Login
Post Info TOPIC: New Lao bank note 1,000 kip causes big criticize among local !!!
Anonymous

Date:
New Lao bank note 1,000 kip causes big criticize among local !!!
Permalink   


What would you say about this topic ?



The Bank of the Lao PDR introduced a new 1,000 kip banknote this month. The new note consists of several components, which will make it harder for forgers to replicate. But many people say the photograph of real women on the note is inappropriate !!!

A trader in Xiengnheun village, Ms Phoy Yangvannavong: I think the new banknote is more colourful than the old one. That’s good because it will encourage more people to use kip, because today everyone’s interested in what’s new and fashionable. It’s easier for vendors if they have plenty of small banknotes so they can give their customers change. Sometimes they give you sweets if they have run out of small denomination banknotes or they set the price of their goods according to the most commonly circulated notes so they don’t have to give change. If there are more small banknotes in circulation it will encourage vendors to keep their prices low, which is much better for consumers. I think it was easier for counterfeiters to copy the old 1,000 kip note because the pictures of women were drawn by hand. But the new note has pictures of real people, which will make it more difficult for criminals to make forgeries.


An employee at Banque pour le Commerce Exterieur Lao, Mr Bounkorn phouthichai: I approve of the new 1,000 kip note because it is more attractive and is also difficult for criminals to copy. The central bank wanted to issue an improved version of the banknote to encourage more people to use it. I think the picture of three real women on the note helps to promote our rich culture. The women come from each of our three main ethnic groups and the pictures show visitors the traditional dress of our people. They can see that Lao women still wear the traditional long skirt (sinh) and the use of a photograph helps to prevent forgeries. I know some countries have pictures of famous scientists or heads of state on their banknotes. I think it would be good for Laos if the new note carried a picture of a leader who had played an important role in helping to develop the country.


An employee at Air Booking, Mr Bounthan Chanpaseud: I realise the bank wanted to use pictures of real women to portray our different ethnic groups, but I think they should have considered whether or not this was really appropriate before making the decision to issue the new note. If visitors see a picture of three women on a banknote they may wonder who they are and whether they are important people in Laos. I know most countries have pictures of their leaders on banknotes. I think the bank should have used the old picture and improved other aspects of the note by redesigning the pattern to make it more attractive. If the bank wants to prevent forgeries, they should incorporate a stamp into banknotes as is done in neighbouring countries.


An office worker, Mr Sommai: I don’t think it’s appropriate for the bank to use a picture of real women to portray our ethnic groups. I think it’s better to draw a picture. The bank should realise that the 1,000 kip note will be in use for a very long time and the next generation might question our priorities and sense of responsibility. Our 20,000 and 50,000 kip notes carry drawings of our leaders. I think if we’re going to have photographs of real people we should portray our country’s leaders to honour their good deeds and perpetuate their memory. If the three women pictured on the new note do something bad in the future, this could affect the image of our currency. I think the best thing is for the central bank to revert to the original design to put a stop to the complaints about the new note.

__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

 who design this money? it's too stupid to used the real persons picture
 in the money, do they  have  meaning on history of Laos?
 i have never seen such the stupid an idea as this before, why the Lao national
 bank allows this idea?

__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

I don't like the back side of this new bank note. The picture of different draft animals is so unrealistic and the electricity grids are against the grazing of those animals in the field. They should print a better picture instead the draft animals. Very inappropriated.

__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

It is not a mistake of the one who designed this bank note, but it is a big mistake of the Ministry of Finance who issue this bank note as the official one.

They may want to use the real image of Lao girls to attract Lao men to use more Lao kips, but forget to think about other meanings behind it.

furious

__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

they should think about a meaning of using.
why have to show baffalow to the bank? and
use the real picture of women in it?
what do they want to express ?

__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

Every pictures has its meaning, see the photo



KPL) 1,000 kip banknote has been issued for public circulation in response to trade nationwide and the promotion of kip currency use.


This is according to a notice of the Bank of Lao PDR, on 30 October.

The 1,000 kip banknote has been reprinted with new design and quality has been improved which would be circulated in the public in this month. The quality of banknote is improved that hard to counterfeit.


The improved banknote is 66mm X 144mm that the picture has been maintained but the quality of its paper, colour, technical printing have been improved. The representatives of the Central Bank called on Lao people to maintain kip banknote and use kip currency.



__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

we are not talking about the quality of paper,
we are talking about why use the real picture of
women in the bank. its not appropriate! because
they are not the historic person in lao history.


__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

Anonymous wrote:

Every pictures has its meaning, see the photo



KPL) 1,000 kip banknote has been issued for public circulation in response to trade nationwide and the promotion of kip currency use.


This is according to a notice of the Bank of Lao PDR, on 30 October.

The 1,000 kip banknote has been reprinted with new design and quality has been improved which would be circulated in the public in this month. The quality of banknote is improved that hard to counterfeit.


The improved banknote is 66mm X 144mm that the picture has been maintained but the quality of its paper, colour, technical printing have been improved. The representatives of the Central Bank called on Lao people to maintain kip banknote and use kip currency.

 



      what the meaning of using the baffalows in the bank?  does the baffalow
      picture really show that our country is agriculture country? does it really
      need the baffalow's to espress it?
       why don't use an elephant, Naga or many symbol that make Laos more
      worth? i can't believe how can the natinal bank of lao  print it out !can't    
      believe such the design can accepted from the bank.

 



__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

WHAT IS WRONG WITH USING THE REAL PEOPLE.  THAILAND USE THEIR KINGS PICTURE,  HE IS STILL ALIVE.  THE CANADIAN USE THE QUEEN AND SHE IS STILL ALIVE.  THESE ARE JUST SOME EXAMPLE.


THANK GOD, THEY DID NOT USED THE LAOS COMMUNIST LEADER PICTURES LIKE IN NORTH KOREA. 

__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

I think its nice.  The 1000 kip bank note are so small some of money.  They dont want to spent to much money on the design.  Its fine for the amount of money it represent.  Its makes the point of security and the culture of Laos.  Its fine.

__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

The girls are beautiful and the scenery are great.  You notice there are no COMMUNIST symbol anywhere.  The government are changing slowing.

__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

i thnk it looks ok it think you guys are thinking wayy too much behidn the meanings of the pictures. but yehh i can see where their could be bad thoughts behind htme but that guy above me is rite. it does show the little change. cultural diversity and progresssion in economics. who knows maybe da next bank note will be something that reprsents the futre.

__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

They just want Hmongs to own part of Laos . Everything is too late. Right now, Laos country owns by several countries including Australia, Cambodia, China, India,Japan,North America,South Keorea, Thailand, Vietname,and of course U.N.  Currently Lao country runs by  Chinese power. The reason of these Three beautiful ladies appear on Laos Kip because it is  U.S.A. government politic.  President Bush will do everything in his power to bring Hmongs back to Lao because USA has obligations of secret war even Hmongs hate that idea. I wonder why not China? Hmongs came from China beside Vang Pao was partner of Chinese government to sell opium to British before Viet. took over Lao. In my opinion, Vang Pao never intent to help USA to fight with Viet. He helped himself because he didn't want to loose Self-Government that French granted in 1949. This is nightmare for Vang Pao if Viet. gains power. He's no longer to  control or make his people to work like slave in the jungle. If Laotian people treated Hmongs so bady, how Vang Pao became general and some of Hmongs had high position as senator in Laos. Hmongs also claimed that they are so poor but I am very curouse how they have beautiful clothes to wear and expensive weapon to defense themself. I think real Lao more poor than Hmongs and were treated severely by Viet. Please don't get me wrong , I never hate Hmongs. They just human like me or Obama, but I do hate Van Pao who taught his people to hate Laotian. Van Poa is leader of cult and beleive strongly, polygamy must exist. Please don't call  me stupid, educate me if my thinking is to weak so I can learn or understand more about life. Thank you. If you ask Hmongs people ,this is true deifinitely they will against. I am not surprised because 90% Hmongs are Vang Pao's kids or either cousins.



__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

Anonymous wrote:

WHAT IS WRONG WITH USING THE REAL PEOPLE.  THAILAND USE THEIR KINGS PICTURE,  HE IS STILL ALIVE.  THE CANADIAN USE THE QUEEN AND SHE IS STILL ALIVE.  THESE ARE JUST SOME EXAMPLE.


THANK GOD, THEY DID NOT USED THE LAOS COMMUNIST LEADER PICTURES LIKE IN NORTH KOREA. 



        they did not use the real picture , and what is different? THAI KING and
        England QUEEN , their status is different, what the women status in laos?
        they are your princess? or have any meaning for laos? why u don't know
        what diffirent bettwen it! how stupid!

 



__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

they did not use the real picture , and what is different? THAI KING and
        England QUEEN , their status is different, what the women status in laos?
        they are your princess? or have any meaning for laos? why u don't know
        what diffirent bettwen it! how stupid!
---------------------------------


How are they different?.  Just because you are King or Queen, make you better than anybody else.  What is King and Queen?.  The government and the people runs the country.  The three women represent the heart and soul of Laos.  They are our mothers.  What doest the picture of the King and Queen represent.  GREED?!!!


__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

THAT IS THE THEME  THE SOCIALIST GOVERNMENT WANT TO PORTRAY.  THE PEOPLE.  LET FACE IT, THE WOMEN ARE THE BACK BONE OF EVERY SOCIETY.  THIS BILL ACKNOWLEDGE THAT. 

HOW MANY WOMEN ARE REPRESENTED IN THE AMERICAN BILLS?

__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   


they did not use the real picture , and what is different? THAI KING and
        England QUEEN , their status is different, what the women status in laos?
        they are your princess? or have any meaning for laos? why u don't know
        what diffirent bettwen it! how stupid
------------------

STATUS DOES NOT MAKE YOU LAOS.  A COUNTRY IS CREATED BY MEN AND WOMEN, WHO SACRAFICE THEIR LIVES FOR THEIR COUNTRIES.  THE RICH ONLY WANT TO GET RICHER, AND WHENEVER THERE IS A CONFLICT THEY ALWAY RUN.  EXAMPLE:  TAKSIN OF THAILAND VS NEILSON MANDILA OF SOUTH AFRICA.  WHO IS THE REAL HERO? 



__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

King and Queen and Royalty are useless.  They are Thiefs and liers.  They steal from poor people, they sent the people to die for them and their greedy family. They have no vision for the country, except getting rich, while people kiss their feet.

They should all be hung upside down.

__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

Anonymous wrote:


they did not use the real picture , and what is different? THAI KING and
        England QUEEN , their status is different, what the women status in laos?
        they are your princess? or have any meaning for laos? why u don't know
        what diffirent bettwen it! how stupid
------------------

STATUS DOES NOT MAKE YOU LAOS.  A COUNTRY IS CREATED BY MEN AND WOMEN, WHO SACRAFICE THEIR LIVES FOR THEIR COUNTRIES.  THE RICH ONLY WANT TO GET RICHER, AND WHENEVER THERE IS A CONFLICT THEY ALWAY RUN.  EXAMPLE:  TAKSIN OF THAILAND VS NEILSON MANDILA OF SOUTH AFRICA.  WHO IS THE REAL HERO? 



        i'm pretty sure that's not the 3 women that a real hero in lao history.
        at least, should be someone who have meaning in history of lao.

 



__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

they did not use the real picture , and what is different? THAI KING and
        England QUEEN , their status is different, what the women status in laos?
        they are your princess? or have any meaning for laos? why u don't know
        what diffirent bettwen it! how stupid
------------------------

Who gave them that status?.  Are they born to be Kings?.  The people gave them that status.  The people put them higher than they should be.  That was the old days.  Today we dont need KINGS or QUEEN.  The country is run by the government and its people.  If your not satisfied with the government, then removed them..

WE ARE ALL BORN EQUAL. ITS HOW YOU LIVE YOUR LIFE, AND CONTRIBUTE TO THE WORLD THAT MAKE YOU SPECIAL. 


__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

i'm pretty sure that's not the 3 women that a real hero in lao history.
        at least, should be someone who have meaning in history of lao.
-------------------

You are not getting the big pictures.  Think bigger!


__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

When you put somesone higher than you, they think they arebetter then you.  Let take a look at everyday situation.  Men!, if you put your women higher then you, she will used you and leave you, because your WHIP.  That goes for the women too.



__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

Anonymous wrote:

i'm pretty sure that's not the 3 women that a real hero in lao history.
        at least, should be someone who have meaning in history of lao.
-------------------

You are not getting the big pictures.  Think bigger!



         you don't know what the meaning should be ! think hard! if the women
        is someone of the designer's cousin or  give lao people
       to see them in lao money??

__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

They should abolish all the Kings and Queens all around the world.  And let the  government and the people run the country. 

__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

  you don't know what the meaning should be ! think hard! if the women
        is someone of the designer's cousin or  give lao people
       to see them in lao money??
---------------------------

You are just a child. 


__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

you don't know what the meaning should be ! think hard! if the women
        is someone of the designer's cousin or  give lao people
       to see them in lao money??
--------------

You are just upset its not your ugly picture on the bill


__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

Anonymous wrote:

you don't know what the meaning should be ! think hard! if the women
        is someone of the designer's cousin or  give lao people
       to see them in lao money??
--------------

You are just upset its not your ugly picture on the bill



      nope, i would like to see jao sethathirath or jao anu picture in the picture
      because they are a hero in Lao history. u r a child not grow enough so you
       dont know what deos it mean.

__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

   nope, i would like to see jao sethathirath or jao anu picture in the picture
      because they are a hero in Lao history. u r a child not grow enough so you
       dont know what deos it mean.
-----------------------------------

That era is done.  I too like to see Isaan gave back to Laos.  But its gone.  Done...... No more Jao this Jao that.  Its gone.  Power to the  people and power to the government.

If you like this guy so much, why put him on  a 10 cent bill.


__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

This bill is equal to 0.10 cent USD.  I guess thats how much he is worth...

__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

the real picture of the women make the new bill look fake.
I don't think it was a good idea.

__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

I rather have these three girls on the money than seeing Mr. Khaison Phomvihane anytime....LOL

__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

Anonymous wrote:

   nope, i would like to see jao sethathirath or jao anu picture in the picture
      because they are a hero in Lao history. u r a child not grow enough so you
       dont know what deos it mean.
-----------------------------------

That era is done.  I too like to see Isaan gave back to Laos.  But its gone.  Done...... No more Jao this Jao that.  Its gone.  Power to the  people and power to the government.

If you like this guy so much, why put him on  a 10 cent bill.



     do you understand what does the historic person mean?  Sethathilath King
     and Anuvong King are the person who had built and fight for Lao, that's
     why still have Lao country in the world.
     you are such the kind who don't know an obligation, will you forget every
     thing that they have do for people after they died?
     we are talking about hero for LAO people!
     i just want to say the person who should in the bill should be the kind of
     historic of Lao, it's not appropriate to use the real face of women thats not
     a hero for Lao.

 



__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

if they mean to put the three lao girls on the bank note, i suggest that the drawing but not photograp which uses the real person, i think it is not appropriate, because those girl's face doesn't meaningful for our history , i know they are only representive of Lao people.


it's not quite appropriate to use the bufflo to present the agriculture in laos, i suguest to use the farmer instead. because the bufflo now are getting less in our country,the owner want to sell them and buy the Moto instead.  here, we can use the farmer durring their cultivation.
   the other design are quite nice, but if there was a Naga on it, it would be more beautiful and more meaningful to Lao and falang people.


__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

Anonymous wrote:

if they mean to put the three lao girls on the bank note, i suggest that the drawing but not photograp which uses the real person, i think it is not appropriate, because those girl's face doesn't meaningful for our history , i know they are only representive of Lao people.



it's not quite appropriate to use the bufflo to present the agriculture in laos, i suguest to use the farmer instead. because the bufflo now are getting less in our country,the owner want to sell them and buy the Moto instead.  here, we can use the farmer durring their cultivation.
   the other design are quite nice, but if there was a Naga on it, it would be more beautiful and more meaningful to Lao and falang people.

 



        agree with your idea. but some don't understand what important to use the meaning symbol and picture on the bill. Naga, elephant, historic person on laos history draw face, and fiel should be use not the buffallow and the real face.
       for the designer should learn what the meaningful symbol for Lao country
and express it to make the bill more worth and original.

 



__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

It's like Obama has already been elected a President of USA, but Mcain still tries to criticize Obama about weak point. 

However, in USA or other democratic countries the case doesn't happen. Normally, they suggest their ideas or criticize before things come out. Once things come out, they have to accept the outcome. That is a commonly pratice in developped countries. People like to respect other people opinions and have to accept majority.

In this case, like it or not you have to use it already. Other people may have other reason like :"look from the present and the future", and so on.  

I personally like the features which reflect that we Lao people value our culture and our minority people: Lao Soung, Lao Teung and Lao Loum. (Lao united).

That's what my opinion.  

 
SPY
 

__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

if the designer really wan to use the real face on the banknote, they should have selected the most beautiful of Lao loum, Lao theung and Lao soung, look at the photo, Lao loum seems more beautiful and Lao soung seems urly, so,its not fair between the Minorities in Laos, it is certainly that the designer is Lao loum..


__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

New Lao 1,000.00 kip banknote spark wide criticism.

__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

do you understand what does the historic person mean?  Sethathilath King
     and Anuvong King are the person who had built and fight for Lao, that's
     why still have Lao country in the world.
     you are such the kind who don't know an obligation, will you forget every
     thing that they have do for people after they died?
     we are talking about hero for LAO people!
     i just want to say the person who should in the bill should be the kind of
     historic of Lao, it's not appropriate to use the real face of women thats not
     a hero for Lao.
--------------------------

Its your backward believes.  But i dont think its true.  First of all without the French, Laos would be part of Isaan Thailand.  Its a love hate for me, when it come to the French.  Second, without the Communist, Laos would also be part of Thailand.  Its also a love hate relationship for with the Communist.

Back then, the land switch back and forth.  Laos, as a country dont exist.  Its called Lan Xang. Lan Xang consist of Lao/Tai from china.    The people and race were hard to define.


__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

if the designer really wan to use the real face on the banknote, they should have selected the most beautiful of Lao loum, Lao theung and Lao soung, look at the photo, Lao loum seems more beautiful and Lao soung seems urly, so,its not fair between the Minorities in Laos, it is certainly that the designer is Lao loum..
--------------------------------------
You are living in a fantasy kid.  Real women are fat, skinny, tall, and some are ugly. I guest you have not watch OPRA SHOW lately.


__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

These are the women face of Laos.  They are real, their custom are real, their face are real. The buffalo are still being use for farming.  The buffalo meat and skin are still being eatin.  The artist try to reflect the realism of the Lao people as he see's it.  I might not agree, but the government chosed his vision of Laos.

__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

Its better security note with a real picture than drawings.  to duplicate this picture.  You must have the exact models, the same clothes, the same posed, and the same facial expression.  It very difficult to duplicate, unlike drawings.

__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

This Laos Kip is promoting Hmongs to be part of Lao county by USA supporting. They want Lao government to accept Hmongs back because the  government of USA cannot afford or scare to bring 2 millions of Hmongs from Thailand to settle in North America after Vang Pao's people killed white and planned to bomb Vientiane. Bush's administrators don't care about laos feeling as long as Hmongs are out of they hands. Did you get it? 221 yrs ago,white(British) invaded Indian land. They killed 95% of native Indians who were helping them to eat good turkeys. They betrayed them  just to get their land.  Now, they are helping Hmongs to do the same way knowing Hmong belongs to China. USA  should make Chinese government to welcome Hmongs back to China. After they home,I understand if they want to return to Laos as immigrant I have no problem with that. It's bad idea though to force them to stay in Lao because Hmongs themselve refused  to be part of Lao. They want to be either Thai or Chinese. Look at Linda Song, she claimed her mother is Thai. Have you ever read her biography? Anyway, Hmongs have a lot privileges from USA government, did you see what happen to Vang Pao? He's out of the jail. The crime that he committed never brought to justice. The governor of California pardoned him which means he is free. You don't understand Hmongs control white power by using a popular "Phrase" I used to help you kill Viet and innocent Lao people(When Hmongs got kill,USA agrees it is genocide). Now, it your turn to pay us back. We want to own Laos land. You must get it for me.  Did you see it? So many white travel in Luang Prabang because it is all about Hmongs. Lao people don't get it. Look around the market how many of Hmongs are selling stuffs? It has nothing to do with Lao loum or Lao Theung not even pretty or ugly my friends. It's all about giving Laos land to Hmongs so USA can be free of obligation(secrete war) or Hmongs will stop call them as "White Betrayer". Anyway in my opinion, "Over All", White Americans are nice since they gave Obama to become a first black president of USA.  We can be more nice than them. Lets welcome our friends that has been lost for more than 30 yrs back to Laos land with our love. Remember, we are lived on earth only temporary (100 yrs) but Earth is possible to live forever. We need to love each other more and become one regardless of what colors.  Thank you!



__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

I think instead of 3l adies picturepls, I  encourage and prefere to use the elephanh( Xang ), Khene ( Natioanl Musicial Intrument ) and Dokchampa ( national Flower ), three of such things are simbol of our nations- Lao peole


Lao Penh Lao

__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

I agree with you.

__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

I think instead of 3l adies picturepls, I  encourage and prefere to use the elephanh( Xang ), Khene ( Natioanl Musicial Intrument ) and Dokchampa ( national Flower ), three of such things are simbol of our nations- Lao peole
---------------

Maybe on the next bill.  But let me ask you.  Who are the hardest working people on the planet?.  WOMEN!. 

Women are our mothers, sisters, and they fought along the men in wars.  This is a good way to give back. Those girls are representing Laos.  They are also represent mothers, daughter, and sisters.

What does elephant respresent?. It respresent old regime that stole from people.  And not everybody listen to Khaen.  Hmong dont play Khaen, Viet-Lao dont play Khaen, Akha dont pay Khaen.  How many country put their national flowers on the bill. 


__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

But white Jonny plays khaen.

__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

Anonymous wrote:


What does elephant respresent?. It respresent old regime that stole from people. 




You make me laugh. 
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

How old are you? Are you some little kid? Are you so naive?


That is so buffalo dung! New regime is not anybetter.

 



__________________
EMB


Newbie

Status: Offline
Posts: 1
Date:
Permalink   

<!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-language:DE;} span.highlight {mso-style-name:highlight;} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:70.85pt 70.85pt 2.0cm 70.85pt; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

I have been collecting world banknotes for more than 50 years. And yesterday the new Lao 1000 Kip note arrived here. I find it has a wonderful design, much more beautiful than certain banknotes from other countries.

 

I am tired of seeing the ruler’s portrait on banknotes. Look at the Thai notes which depict the king. For so many years now they have their king on the notes, the face changing from young to older (but not as old as he is). This is very boring…

 

Whereas the completely new design of the 1000 Kip note with the three beautiful ladies is very pleasant to my eyes. If I understand it right the three ladies represent the three main ethnic groups of Lao people. That means the unity of Laos. On back we find water buffaloes and electricity, that means farming and industrialisation, tradition and modernization.  And the old times are note forgotten, on the back at the left side we find an elephant and – I believe- a kind of celestial being (nangfa). So the roots of Laotian culture are not forgotten, but they are not very prominent on the note as present day Laos is more important for modern people…

 

As for the fact that three real ladies are pictured – this was done by other countries before. One example: the 1 Yuan Banknote of China, issued in 1960, depicted a women driving a tractor, representing working women and agriculture as an important element of modern China.

 

May I ask a question? I know for Laotian people it is evident, but for me as a foreigner it is not clear: I know, the three ladies represent the Lao Sung, Lao Teung and Lao Leum, but who is who? That means, from left to right, who is L.Sung, who is L.Teung, and who is L.Leum…Thank you for your help (I had sent am e-mail to the Bank of Laos, but so far did not get any answer).

 

Erwin

 



__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

There are acutually more ethnic Laotion than that.  Only three are represented here.  Because they are the majority of the population.  Its better than just have a king represent the people.

Look at Thailand.  There are as much different ethnic people, but they are not represented.  That why you turmoil and kaos.







__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

I think Laos is a true social democracy.  Its not communism.  The people in Laos have many freedom that they enjoy, more than in a true stile of cummunism.  Laos is modeling after China, and not Cuba or North Korea.

I visit Laos 5 times.  Everyboy have cell phone, Tv, Satalite, Computer.  They are allow freely to watch foreign program from Thailand and elsewhere.  Lao people are allow to own and sell lands and do business.  Lao can apply for passport to go to other countries like Thailand to visit.

So my opinion Laos is a social democratic country, not communist.

__________________
1 2  >  Last»  | Page of 2  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us


Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard