Members Login
Post Info TOPIC: Top 5 things to do in Laos before you die
Anonymous

Date:
Top 5 things to do in Laos before you die
Permalink   




What are your top 5 things you want to do in Laos before you die ? Post your answers as follow:

1.
2.
3.
4.
5.


__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

Here are mine:

1. Tubbing in Vang vieng
2. Living in Tree house and gibbon experience
3. Go to Phongsaly << I heard it is a very nice place
4. See dolphins in the south
5. Hanging in the bars all night long in Vientiane



__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

1. Marry a Lao girl
2. Buat at a temple in the countryside
3. Build a house along the Mekong riverbank
4. Write a book about life in Laos
5. Write a song about life in Laos

__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 696
Date:
Permalink   

Wow, Saffron, will YOU really do all those things , YOURSELF! What a chalenge

I totaly support you about your number 3), 3), 4), and 5)

about 1) and 2) ... that's your though.... but are you sure there is no hope just to improve the current system, without need to change everything?

For my part, i would have more simple goal:

0) have 2 children in France, where i live currently
1) learn lao language
2) when they are 3-4 years old, move to Laos and build a house there to live in , an ecological house if possible (natural cooling and no air control, energy efficient, re-use of rain water...)
3) lauch a small investment projet... i won't tell what it is because i don't want anyone to take my idea before i can do it. I can just tell it would create 2 jobs in Laos (+me and my wife as manager) and help more local people to make business... it could contribute to attract more tourists in Vientiane
4) do something (don't know what yet) to promote lao silks
5) build an electric tuktuk and/or Import Renault/Dacia Logan car in Laos (especialy pick-up version, that i believe lao people would appreciate a lot)

-- Edited by paris_vientiane at 07:46, 2007-10-17

__________________
http://www.paris-vientiane.fr


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 288
Date:
Permalink   

I am sure 100% I will not get any of them done but I was having fun writing it. HAHAHAHA.

By the way...no more tuk tuk by 2010 I think. They are bad image for LPDR. LPRP is making a law to band them.

I remember the palm manuscripts when I was young monk. I was going to go to all the Lao temples. Photograph all the Buddha palm manuscripts but someone beat me to it. Oh, well. I don't think Lao people care enough about their historical stuff. They would just destroy all old temples if it is not for outsider wanting to preserve it.

__________________
"Because I criticized Laos government and it policies, it does not mean I want Laos to remain poor nor do I think Lao people are lazy or uneducated."


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 696
Date:
Permalink   

hehe.... only lao consider tuktuk show bad image.... most of foreigner love them

Right now, imagine an electric tuk tuk using lao hydropower electricity: no pollution, silent, and we can hope in a few years low cost of use (gaz will be more and more expensive in the next year, and with development of hydropower electricity in Laos, we can hope prices for electricity will go down). This would be possible because a tuktuk is not heavy, so don't need too much electricity/battery to run!

Are you sure it would still show a bad image of Laos? i think on the contrary those old things can be turned into a very modern transport system. But you're right, lao autorities want to put all tuktuk in the rubbish bin, and don't care about the drivers'job.


about history (lao people don't care), do you think it's a question of culture or just a question of education? for the moment, many lao people still have to learn about writing, learn english.... so maybe that's the reason why they don't see the importance of history yet, but maybe when more and more lao people would have good education, they will understand why it's important....
or on the contrary, maybe it's a question of culture and they will never care about the past....i hope not

-- Edited by paris_vientiane at 17:32, 2007-10-17

__________________
http://www.paris-vientiane.fr


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 288
Date:
Permalink   

I actually like the tukuk. They are an easy way to get around. I would prefer tuktuk over Taxi, which will replace them. No, I don't think they are bad image. I think that is the best thing for Laos. But sometime the driver, just like other driver in Laos, they are crazy. Hardly ever follow driving rule. My uncle die in a car-motorcycle accident. They need to be more strict on giving out driving permit.

I think education....not the regular schooling education....but the education on what are all these historical site/placed are. What they meant to Laos and Lao. But sadly people there worry more about food on the table everyday. They don't have time to think about saving old building. They are preoccupied with finding work, making money, and buying food. I don't blame them.

Have you notice that only outsider worry about that? Because we have more time to think about it. We don't worry about the same stuff as them. So we have more time to think about old saving old building.

__________________
"Because I criticized Laos government and it policies, it does not mean I want Laos to remain poor nor do I think Lao people are lazy or uneducated."


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 696
Date:
Permalink   

yeah, for sure, when you have many problem or are too poor, you prioritize your problems and you think first about short-term problems (eat, save your life....)

When you have less problems and more time, you can take time to consider some long term problems (protect environment, develop culture, try to understand the world to try to make it better....)

But what worry me is that many "new rich people"(especialy in Laos or Thailand, but also in all emerging countries) don't care about such things too... maybe less than some poor people.... they only think about enjoy their new money, now, without care about the future or others... they act like children. They buy big car that use a lot of gaz, don't respect the rules when they drive it, drink lot of bear and get drunk, buy only new and modern products and forget the high quality traditional ones... because for them, such products are symbol of poverty, of their former life... i hope such people can change their mind soon, and use their money to really improve the situation of the country (invest...)

__________________
http://www.paris-vientiane.fr
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

What is REAL democracy?
America? - A country that happily supports dictatorships when they work for its interests, a country whose population are so under-educated that it is doubtful they are able to provide an informed vote anyway, a country where political 'choice' is between the member of one rich oil family and another.
The old Royal Lao Government? - a system totally corrupted by American aid money, a system run by the American ambassador of the time, a system intentionally tampered with by the Americans every time a 'neutral' prime minister was 'democratically' elected - the REALity is that the Americans destroyed the democratic process in Laos.
Be careful when you say stupid things like REAL democracy.

__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

Having read above mentioned statements, I feel they really too clever, if not stupid. They are prone to praise themselves as the experts and look down all Lao people. Not knowing anything about Laos, but they blame something bad about Laos. These kind of people are servants of Vang Pao and old regime. I myself really hate these people. They cannot talk the good things about Laos but only want to discredit Lao image. 

The fact that they claimed that Tuk Tuk is Lao heritage was really absurd. Our Lao government just wants to improve environment in Vientiane, but these people think that Lao people have no brain to keep the old things. They forget looking in the cities where they live, there are no any Tuk Tuks or the old vihicles. Also, I don't remember where Lao people destroyed the old temples.

The fact that they claimed that Lao people are too poor and always think about what to eat and have less education is the kind of harsh looking down to our people. Actually, I would like to say that so far Lao people haven't died from lacking of food or housing. In adition, Lao people have never asked money from Lao foreign (outsiders) people who are servants of foreigners. Please bear in your mind!  

      

   
 


     

__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

Anonymous wrote:

Having read above mentioned statements, I feel they are really too clever, if not stupid. They are prone to praise themselves as the experts and look down all Lao people. Not knowing anything about Laos, but they blame something bad about Laos. These kind of people are servants of Vang Pao and old regime. I myself really hate these people. They cannot talk the good things about Laos but only want to discredit Lao image. 

The fact that they claimed that Tuk Tuk is Lao heritage was really absurd. Our Lao government just wants to improve environment in Vientiane, but these people think that Lao people have no brain to keep the old things. They forget looking in the cities where they live, there are no any Tuk Tuks or the old vihicles. Also, I don't remember where Lao people destroyed the old temples.

The fact that they claimed that Lao people are too poor and always think about what to eat and have less education is the kind of harsh looking down to our people. Actually, I would like to say that so far Lao people haven't died from lacking of food or housing. In adition, Lao people have never asked money from Lao foreign (outsiders) people who are servants of foreigners. Please bear in your mind!    
 
   


Yes, I absolutely agree with you.



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 288
Date:
Permalink   

Anonymous wrote:

What is REAL democracy?
America? - A country that happily supports dictatorships when they work for its interests, a country whose population are so under-educated that it is doubtful they are able to provide an informed vote anyway, a country where political 'choice' is between the member of one rich oil family and another.
The old Royal Lao Government? - a system totally corrupted by American aid money, a system run by the American ambassador of the time, a system intentionally tampered with by the Americans every time a 'neutral' prime minister was 'democratically' elected - the REALity is that the Americans destroyed the democratic process in Laos.
Be careful when you say stupid things like REAL democracy.




Are you a member of LPRP? or your father. Did he put you up to this?

 



__________________
"Because I criticized Laos government and it policies, it does not mean I want Laos to remain poor nor do I think Lao people are lazy or uneducated."
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

I feel that the person whose name is Suffron last time was under name FOREVER. No matter he changed his name, his comment is still the same. 

__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

Anonymous wrote:

What is REAL democracy?
America? - A country that happily supports dictatorships when they work for its interests, a country whose population are so under-educated that it is doubtful they are able to provide an informed vote anyway, a country where political 'choice' is between the member of one rich oil family and another.
The old Royal Lao Government? - a system totally corrupted by American aid money, a system run by the American ambassador of the time, a system intentionally tampered with by the Americans every time a 'neutral' prime minister was 'democratically' elected - the REALity is that the Americans destroyed the democratic process in Laos.
Be careful when you say stupid things like REAL democracy.




Are you a member of LPRP? or your father. Did he put you up to this?

------------------------------

Aha, well, that was a predictable response. No, I have never worked for the Lao government and nor has any other member of my family, but I have considerable training and experience in politics and governance reform. Seriously, is that the best you can do? You really do have to start living in the year 2007. America is certainly not setting a good democratic example and given that China will overtake it soon as the primary global economic growth centre we need something a bit more constructive than silly rants about REAL democracy if Lao people are to benefit from political change. You don't even know what democracy is and you throw the words 'REAL democracy' around like they have some kind of meaning. You are very irresponsible.

Tell me please, what is 'REAL democracy' and where is an example of it in the world today????????????????

__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1451
Date:
Permalink   

This is a message to Saffron,

First of all, thank you very much for your very active in sharing your idea in samakomlao website. We really appreciate it.

However, one thing that I really want to warn you is that, please do not use our webboard to attack Lao government or say bad things about them. There are thousand of interesting topics to talk about. So just keep your feeling inside your own places and think before posting.

Regards,

Webmaster

__________________
samakomlaoiconsz6.gif Make yourself visible, signup at samakomlao webboard. HERE


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 696
Date:
Permalink   

Anonymous wrote:

Having read above mentioned statements, I feel they really too clever, if not stupid. They are prone to praise themselves as the experts and look down all Lao people. Not knowing anything about Laos, but they blame something bad about Laos. These kind of people are servants of Vang Pao and old regime. I myself really hate these people. They cannot talk the good things about Laos but only want to discredit Lao image. 

The fact that they claimed that Tuk Tuk is Lao heritage was really absurd. Our Lao government just wants to improve environment in Vientiane, but these people think that Lao people have no brain to keep the old things. They forget looking in the cities where they live, there are no any Tuk Tuks or the old vihicles. Also, I don't remember where Lao people destroyed the old temples.

The fact that they claimed that Lao people are too poor and always think about what to eat and have less education is the kind of harsh looking down to our people. Actually, I would like to say that so far Lao people haven't died from lacking of food or housing. In adition, Lao people have never asked money from Lao foreign (outsiders) people who are servants of foreigners. Please bear in your mind!  
  



I didn't say that tuktuk is part of lao heritage, i said that it's something typical of a few countries (Thailand/Laos), that foreigner appreciate a lot when they go to those countries.

No, we don't have tuk tuk in Paris. But Paris city just bought 20000 bicycles that people can use for a very very low price (30 euros /year), because our experience is that a big city with too many cars is just Hell and we need other solutions: bicycles (zero pollution, big reduction of trafic jams) or small motorbikes, or anything else (why not renewed tuktuks), because such vehicles pollute less and don't take too much place in the streets.

Look at what french industrials are working on just now ... the last technology developed, that we will maybe have in our streets in a few years:
3898a-venturi_eclectic.jpg


This car is 100% ecological because it don't need to be recharged... just use the sun or wind energy. Why is it possible? because it's very light
Don't you think this car look like a tuktuk? Modernise a tuktuk and you can get something not so far from this high-tech vehicle, maybe for a low price. What do you think is the most modern : the car i show you or a big american or japanese pickup, heavy, that need lot of gas and pollute a lot? Sorry, but it's certainly not se second one.

Maybe you don't like tuktuk, that's your choise, but don't say that people who like tuktuk look down to lao people, that's stupid and unrespectfull. I believe tuktuk is good because it can carry many people or goods for a low price and low energy consumption, don't need too much place in the street, so it reduce trafic jams compared with traditional cars, etc... But I agree it's not very comfortable and modern (in fact the concept of tuktuk is very modern, as the most developed countries start to build some cars that look like tuktuks, but the realisation is clearly old -old and noisy engine, uncomfortable seats...-) , but i sincerely think it's possible to modernize it... certainly a better solution for Lao people than put all tuktuk in the rubbish bin and leave their drivers without work!

Concerning what i said about "think about history" and education, you can disagree again, but it's just a reality everywhere in the world, including Laos. People who are too poor (and many people are poor in Laos) or have too many problems naturaly consider in priority short term problems, and don't have time/energy/money to consider long term problems. Richer or more educated people can more easily think about long term problems. That's just natural and logical... and it's not looking down at poor people to say this, but just see the reality.
You're right about one point, the problems of most of poor lao people is not eating because there is lot of good food in Laos (as long as environment is preserved), but they have other problems like healthcare...


Or maybe you don't accept any kind of criticism in general? sincerely, i feel little bit upset with people who consider that as soon as someone criticise something about a country, this mean he/she look down to the country, act like a traitor, etc... Criticism is something necessary if you want to improve and develop a country. How can you improve something if you don't know where are the problems and weak point? That's impossible. Criticism is something absolutly necessary to go ahead! There is nothing wrong with that. Yes, i sincerely love Laos, and yes, i feel free to criticize what i consider wrong in the country (because nothing is never perfect)... but i never criticize with a hate feeling or looking down to people. I just try to observe, analyse, understand, and imagine the future. What's wrong with that? And believe me or not, I love my country too, but i also criticise it much more than Laos, and fortunately, many people do the same! Love don't force you to be blind!

And you, What are your top 5 things you want to do in Laos before you die ?

-- Edited by paris_vientiane at 11:38, 2007-10-18

__________________
http://www.paris-vientiane.fr


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 288
Date:
Permalink   

Anonymous wrote:

I feel that the person whose name is Suffron last time was under name FOREVER. No matter he changed his name, his comment is still the same.



No, I am not the person name FOREVER. I am new to the forum.

 



__________________
"Because I criticized Laos government and it policies, it does not mean I want Laos to remain poor nor do I think Lao people are lazy or uneducated."


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 288
Date:
Permalink   

samakomlao wrote:

This is a message to Saffron,

First of all, thank you very much for your very active in sharing your idea in samakomlao website. We really appreciate it.

However, one thing that I really want to warn you is that, please do not use our webboard to attack Lao government or say bad things about them. There are thousand of interesting topics to talk about. So just keep your feeling inside your own places and think before posting.

Regards,

Webmaster




WHAT!! I can't criticize Laos government???

You see that everyone? I can't criticize Laos goverment. I have to keep my personaly feeling to myself.

Is this how it is in Laos? If people don't like something...keep their mouth shut?

Is that Democracy? Is that Freedom?

__________________
"Because I criticized Laos government and it policies, it does not mean I want Laos to remain poor nor do I think Lao people are lazy or uneducated."


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 288
Date:
Permalink   

Anonymous wrote:

Anonymous wrote:

What is REAL democracy?
America? - A country that happily supports dictatorships when they work for its interests, a country whose population are so under-educated that it is doubtful they are able to provide an informed vote anyway, a country where political 'choice' is between the member of one rich oil family and another.
The old Royal Lao Government? - a system totally corrupted by American aid money, a system run by the American ambassador of the time, a system intentionally tampered with by the Americans every time a 'neutral' prime minister was 'democratically' elected - the REALity is that the Americans destroyed the democratic process in Laos.
Be careful when you say stupid things like REAL democracy.




Are you a member of LPRP? or your father. Did he put you up to this?

------------------------------

Aha, well, that was a predictable response. No, I have never worked for the Lao government and nor has any other member of my family, but I have considerable training and experience in politics and governance reform. Seriously, is that the best you can do? You really do have to start living in the year 2007. America is certainly not setting a good democratic example and given that China will overtake it soon as the primary global economic growth centre we need something a bit more constructive than silly rants about REAL democracy if Lao people are to benefit from political change. You don't even know what democracy is and you throw the words 'REAL democracy' around like they have some kind of meaning. You are very irresponsible.

Tell me please, what is 'REAL democracy' and where is an example of it in the world today????????????????

 



Did I reference America as Real Democracy? No I did not. That is your assumption.

Matter of fact there is no real democracy or real communism. It doesn't exist but only in Theory and someone imagination.

But it I can't elect someone to represent me or express my opinion on the function of the government, it is certain not very democractic about it.


************************

Okay, I will not criticize Laos government anymore since Webmaster don't like it. He might band me. This will be my last time on it.

*************************



__________________
"Because I criticized Laos government and it policies, it does not mean I want Laos to remain poor nor do I think Lao people are lazy or uneducated."
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

1. travel to every province in Laos
2. eat Lao food
3. married, maybe?
4.relax and sleep 12 hours a day
5. take care of my family and my love

__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

I support the laos goverment, Cheer! You are the man Bouasone Bouphavanh.
I am khon lao and I support my kind, I don't give the fukk to what other poeple think of them.
I have all my family here in laos and we all happy to live our life as what we are now.
Fukk all of the people who is really try to beaking them apart.

__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 596
Date:
Permalink   

hmm ...before leaving this boring life, I`d liked to built a strong car of my own with minimum offuel consumption : a structure of an offroad gearbox with four wheel tractions, powered with a one cylinder 12 HP KUBOTA diesel ! it could go on muddy road as well as asphalted road. What do you think, PV ? sorry I have no photo of the plan.

__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

1. Travel every corners of Laos
2. Spend a lot of money
3. Eat, eat, eat
4. Sleep with as much girls as I could in every corners of Laos
5. Sleep with more girls



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1442
Date:
Permalink   

Anonymous wrote:



What are your top 5 things you want to do in Laos before you die ? Post your answers as follow:

1.
2.
3.
4.
5.



Hhhmmmm.. 5 things??  Here are my 5 things.

1.  Visit Xieng Kwang (wants to check out the Plain of Jars)
2.  Visit Pakse for couple weeks, eat all the local foods.
3.  Visit Golden Triangle (3 Liem Thong Kham)
4.  Donate $$ and time to help fix the old Temple in my home town.
5.  Lastly, I would like meet my future wife who is jai DEE DEE and nah huksmile.gif

I hope to accomplish all these goals before I die. hahahhaha especially No. 5

 



__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

In adition, Lao people have never asked money from Lao foreign (outsiders) people who are servants of foreigners. Please bear in your mind!  

CORRECTION: IN ADDITION,


__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

1. Want to eat most delicious Lao food.

2. Want to live in Laos.

3. Want to have a Lao wife.

4. Want to travel all over Laos.

5. Want to be cremated in Laos.

__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1442
Date:
Permalink   

Anonymous wrote:

In adition, Lao people have never asked money from Lao foreign (outsiders) people who are servants of foreigners. Please bear in your mind!  

CORRECTION: IN ADDITION,





What are you talking about?  I think you're posting on the wrong topic here.  Ya su kin ya bah lai der, het hai pun ya on. :)



__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

I qouted a sentence from this comment by an anonymous in this forum. Read it carefully and closely in the last sentence of the comment.

__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

Anonymous wrote:

Anonymous wrote:

Having read above mentioned statements, I feel they are really too clever, if not stupid. They are prone to praise themselves as the experts and look down all Lao people. Not knowing anything about Laos, but they blame something bad about Laos. These kind of people are servants of Vang Pao and old regime. I myself really hate these people. They cannot talk the good things about Laos but only want to discredit Lao image. 

The fact that they claimed that Tuk Tuk is Lao heritage was really absurd. Our Lao government just wants to improve environment in Vientiane, but these people think that Lao people have no brain to keep the old things. They forget looking in the cities where they live, there are no any Tuk Tuks or the old vihicles. Also, I don't remember where Lao people destroyed the old temples.

The fact that they claimed that Lao people are too poor and always think about what to eat and have less education is the kind of harsh looking down to our people. Actually, I would like to say that so far Lao people haven't died from lacking of food or housing. In adition, Lao people have never asked money from Lao foreign (outsiders) people who are servants of foreigners. Please bear in your mind!    
 
   


Yes, I absolutely agree with you.






__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 696
Date:
Permalink   

so, same answer as above.

__________________
http://www.paris-vientiane.fr


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1442
Date:
Permalink   

Same Same No Change...   LMAO!!!

__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 500
Date:
Permalink   

here's my top 5, in random order:

1.waking up to a morning in Vang Vieng and seeing those low hanging clouds dotting the karst mountains. it just looks heavenly.

2. try at least 5 lao dishes and the beer lao.

3. watch "sabaidee luang prabang" at an open-air wide screen cinema in Vientiane. I hope it doesn't rain.

4. watch or help in the alms giving ceremonies of the monks in luang prabang.


5. visit laos' very first skyscraper as it gets built in the future. i hope it won't take long.


http://eye-in-the-blue-sky.blogspot.com/2008/09/my-dvd-shopping-frenzy-in-bangkok.html


__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 2386
Date:
Permalink   

Saffron wrote:

samakomlao wrote:

This is a message to Saffron,

First of all, thank you very much for your very active in sharing your idea in samakomlao website. We really appreciate it.

However, one thing that I really want to warn you is that, please do not use our webboard to attack Lao government or say bad things about them. There are thousand of interesting topics to talk about. So just keep your feeling inside your own places and think before posting.

Regards,

Webmaster




WHAT!! I can't criticize Laos government???

You see that everyone? I can't criticize Laos goverment. I have to keep my personaly feeling to myself.

Is this how it is in Laos? If people don't like something...keep their mouth shut?

Is that Democracy? Is that Freedom?





well said!!blankstare.gif

__________________


animated-graphics247.gif



Page 1 of 1  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us


Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard