Members Login
Post Info TOPIC: Can any of you Laotian tell me how to say you're welcome in Lao?


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 146
Date:
Can any of you Laotian tell me how to say you're welcome in Lao?
Permalink   


When Lao people thank me, I would normally end up saying, "you are welcome" because I don't know how to say it in Laotian.

Also, how do we define harassment in Lao language? Though I understand Lao quite well but only in a basic communication.


__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1442
Date:
Permalink   

BLM69 wrote:

When Lao people thank me, I would normally end up saying, "you are welcome" because I don't know how to say it in Laotian.

Also, how do we define harassment in Lao language? Though I understand Lao quite well but only in a basic communication.



I usually replied back with.."bor pen yung" BUT!!!  I think the correct translation to "you're welcome" in lao is... "yin dee ton hub"..    Most people just simple say... "Bor Pen Yung"

 



__________________
BLM69

Date:
Permalink   

SeeHarHed wrote:

BLM69 wrote:

When Lao people thank me, I would normally end up saying, "you are welcome" because I don't know how to say it in Laotian.

Also, how do we define harassment in Lao language? Though I understand Lao quite well but only in a basic communication.



I usually replied back with.."bor pen yung" BUT!!!  I think the correct translation to "you're welcome" in lao is... "yin dee ton hub"..    Most people just simple say... "Bor Pen Yung"

 



Thank you.  I think I like the first translation “Yin di ton hub” it sounds like my thankful expression is kindly accepted right?

The second translation sounds rude just like whatever, I don’t care.


 



__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

BLM69 wrote:

When Lao people thank me, I would normally end up saying, "you are welcome" because I don't know how to say it in Laotian.

Also, how do we define harassment in Lao language? Though I understand Lao quite well but only in a basic communication.



Hey BLM and Seeharhed, I missed Lan Xang a lot. Do you know why he's not with us anymore?

__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

ຍິນດີຕ້ອນຮັບ


__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

yin dee ton hub= Welcome

yin dee samur= you"re welcome


__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1442
Date:
Permalink   

Anonymous wrote:
Hey BLM and Seeharhed, I missed Lan Xang a lot. Do you know why he's not with us anymore?
Anonymous,

I do not know what happen to Lan Xang.  Perhaps he got married to young and cute girl from Laos.  He quit coming online and spending more time with his lovely wife. biggrin

 



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 146
Date:
Permalink   

Anonymous wrote:

Hey BLM and Seeharhed, I missed Lan Xang a lot. Do you know why he's not with us anymore?


That’s a good question and I miss him too.  He is an interesting contributor. I often read his comments in the past. As you know, he didn’t have quite many positive outlooks about Laotian governments so his posts were running parallel with the mod’s policy.  I am not saying that Lan Xang was right or wrong, but I think the mod actually banned him. Lan Xang is the man with dignity. He would post under his official registered name despite being attacked by others.  He was undaunted by their curse and he stood his ground, stood by his words and he seldom lowered himself to their levels. I did. The mod declared himself as a Laotian student from Japan, so the funding for his education and other necessary expenses is from the government and therefore, he would have no choice but to exercise his authority when he was constantly put in the spot.  Now, did he really ban Lan Xang or not? I don’t know. This is just my pure speculation. Maybe Lan Xang just simply left. I have not seen his post since I returned.  I hoped you missed me too while I was gone. Didn’t you?pv1laugh.gif 

BruceLaoMan




__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 146
Date:
Permalink   

BLM69 wrote:

Anonymous wrote:

 

Hey BLM and Seeharhed, I missed Lan Xang a lot. Do you know why he's not with us anymore?


That’s a good question and I miss him too.  He is an interesting contributor. I often read his comments in the past. As you know, he didn’t have quite many positive outlooks about Laotian governments so his posts were running parallel with the mod’s policy.  I am not saying that Lan Xang was right or wrong, but I think the mod actually banned him. Lan Xang is the man with dignity. He would post under his official registered name despite being attacked by others.  He was undaunted by their curse and he stood his ground, stood by his words and he seldom lowered himself to their levels. I did. The mod declared himself as a Laotian student from Japan, so the funding for his education and other necessary expenses is from the government and therefore, he would have no choice but to exercise his authority when he was constantly put in the spot.  Now, did he really ban Lan Xang or not? I don’t know. This is just my pure speculation. Maybe Lan Xang just simply left. I have not seen his post since I returned.  I hoped you missed me too while I was gone. Didn’t you?pv1laugh.gif 

BruceLaoMan



Oops! My bad Lol. I just checked his profile and he is showing active.pv1laugh.gif

 



__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

Anonymous wrote:

yin dee ton hub= Welcome

yin dee samur= you"re welcome




This is awesome! Bal Bheun yung is so laid back.. but very usefull. I'd used Bal bheun yung.. guess it's how you say it. I can say that and sound very sincere or it could sound very hood or slang. It depends on the tone of your voice.

However, I like yin dee samur.. Sounds so educated.  I guess it comes down to what environment your in.  talking to friends, I'd used the bal bheun young. Talking to an elder I'd used the other one..

so I want to translate this.. yin = cool, dee = good, samur = same.. am I correct. I know my Laotian is bad but my understandings couldn't be that bad.



__________________
LaoSeatown

Date:
Permalink   

I always use "bor pen yung"  to everybody.  I guess I'm so use to it.  I don't think is more polite or unpolite than the others.  You just have to know how to use it.  For instance,  if I used it with my uncle, I would say,"bor pen yung loong".  See just like that.  Perfecto! biggrinbiggrin 



__________________
Ake


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 237
Date:
Permalink   

Boh Pen Hyang or Yin Dii Tohn Hab base on the sitation

__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

Anonymous wrote:

yin dee ton hub= Welcome

yin dee samur= you"re welcome



yin dee sameur= alway welcome.

 



__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

Anonymous wrote:

 

Anonymous wrote:

 yin = cool, dee = good, samur = same.. am I correct. I know my Laotian is bad but my understandings couldn't be that bad.

 



YIN= HEAR, dee= good, sa meu=alway

    yin dee sameu= dee jai  sameu=alway   happy.

yin dee ton hub samuer= alway welcome.

 

 



__________________
Page 1 of 1  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us


Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard