Members Login
Post Info TOPIC: Where have all the bicycles have gone in Vientiane?


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 54
Date:
Where have all the bicycles have gone in Vientiane?
Permalink   


Riding my motobike along many streets in Vientiane, and I could hardly find any bicycles on the streets. Those who use bicycles are mainly foreigners, while Lao people usually use motobike or car.

Where have all the bicycles have gone?
Is this an indicator that we are more occupied by material world?

__________________
Sharing is caring animaux323ph4.gifanimaux323ph4.gif


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 2386
Date:
Permalink   

vientiane people might think riding the bicycle is poor. if Poubao rides the bicycle, pousao  kor bor mak.  man bor sao sao!!!!!!!!!blankstare


-- Edited by khonthakek on Monday 18th of January 2010 04:49:35 AM

__________________


animated-graphics247.gif





Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 266
Date:
Permalink   

I love bicycling! I take my bike whenever I can.

In my city (Ft. Worth), the government is proposing to spend nearly 28 million dollars on renovating the city to be more bicycle friendly. They pushing towards bicycle commuting so aggressively that they are considering putting free showers for riders for hot days.

It would be great if Vientiane could do more promotion like that as well. I'm not talking public showers, but if they did 5% of the city of Ft. Worth's efforts, I'm sure it would have positive effects.

__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 2386
Date:
Permalink   

DEATHEP wrote:

I love bicycling! I take my bike whenever I can.

In my city (Ft. Worth), the government is proposing to spend nearly 28 million dollars on renovating the city to be more bicycle friendly. They pushing towards bicycle commuting so aggressively that they are considering putting free showers for riders for hot days.

It would be great if Vientiane could do more promotion like that as well. I'm not talking public showers, but if they did 5% of the city of Ft. Worth's efforts, I'm sure it would have positive effects.




you are in the US.. Other reason people dont want to ride the bcc in vientiane because it;s pollution and some road remain  many dust around.



__________________


animated-graphics247.gif





Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 116
Date:
Permalink   

I believe that people still keep it in their house. Just like me













__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 500
Date:
Permalink   

Bikes have several advantages: they are healthy to use; they are pollution free. But they have to be regulated as to where they can be used. Surely, they may be a hazrd in national highways with heavy duty vehicles.









__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1442
Date:
Permalink   

khonthakek wrote:

vientiane people might think riding the bicycle is poor. if Poubao rides the bicycle, pousao  kor bor mak.  man bor sao sao!!!!!!!!!blankstare


-- Edited by khonthakek on Monday 18th of January 2010 04:49:35 AM



man la bro khonthakek.... sao lao wouldnt even take jumbo or took took!!!

when i'm in VTE, i usually rent a bicycle for the whole week at time.  That's how I get around town, people thinks i'm crazy riding around town in the hot sun.

 



__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 91
Date:
Permalink   

I dont know about you guys, but one of the things I enjoyed doing in Laos was bicycling around the city or whereever place I am. Getting lost sometimes added some spice to the adventure. But thanks to some kind Lao I was able to find my way back.

I even rode bikes in going to and from the office, which gave me daily dose of good exercise and saved me some kips. Biking around Patuxay was a favorite past time, too.

Laos is one of the best place for bicycle adventure!

__________________


Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 9
Date:
Permalink   

Lao people dont rid BCC to work or on business today because thier living standard getting better, many people can effort for buy motobike, however many of them still use BCC just for fun only, thank to lao govt. to support SME so many lao people can upgrate thier life..

__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 2386
Date:
Permalink   

XiangNoi wrote:

Lao people dont rid BCC to work or on business today because thier living standard getting better, many people can effort for buy motobike, however many of them still use BCC just for fun only, thank to lao govt. to support SME so many lao people can upgrate thier life..




you should have saud,, thank for chinese campany for cheap motobike..



__________________


animated-graphics247.gif



Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

It is not modern riding a bicycle in the capital



__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

khonthakek wrote:

DEATHEP wrote:

I love bicycling! I take my bike whenever I can.

In my city (Ft. Worth), the government is proposing to spend nearly 28 million dollars on renovating the city to be more bicycle friendly. They pushing towards bicycle commuting so aggressively that they are considering putting free showers for riders for hot days.

It would be great if Vientiane could do more promotion like that as well. I'm not talking public showers, but if they did 5% of the city of Ft. Worth's efforts, I'm sure it would have positive effects.




you are in the US.. Other reason people dont want to ride the bcc in vientiane because it;s pollution and some road remain  many dust around.



100% agree with Konthakek, there too much dust on the roads in Vientaine and it's pretty hot in laos

i bike just for fun and exercise

 



__________________
Anonymous

Date:
Permalink   

Young and hip professionals are now either walk, cycle or catch public transports to work.  Driving to work is now so old fashion and "baan nork".

__________________
Page 1 of 1  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us


Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard